Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The Sideways Lens - Chapter 5 - Life is Not About the Big Picture


Chapter 5 – Life is Not About the Big Picture

 
If you were to look at the picture above, you’d see a bunch of numbers on a very dirty laptop screen. You might even see the large white blob of light on the bottom left of the picture from the flash of Sheldon’s camera. Those weren’t the things Sheldon was actually taking a picture of. Sheldon wasn’t focused on the big picture of the laptop with numbers floating across the screen. His eye went directly towards the fine details of the ceiling fan.
             If you look in the bottom right of the picture you can see a reflection of the ceiling fan in our living room. Sheldon loves the ceiling fan. He can sit and watch the blades spin for hours. When it’s too cold to turn the fan on, he’ll stand directly beneath the fan and spin himself in circles so that he can see the blades move.
Sheldon examines everything in the world around him in the same way that he examined those bubbles we discussed in the second chapter – with exacting detail. He’ll spin spoons and balls for hours and look at them from different angles. He watches them from above, as we would expect him to. Then he lies with his cheek on the floor and one eye closed, so he can see them spinning from head on. (Did you know that you can see them wobbling from this angle? Ask me how I know!) Sheldon doesn’t miss a thing, and he truly appreciates things down to every minute detail.

When You Focus on the Big Picture, You Miss the Picture Altogether

Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know Him.  Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure. (1 John 3:1-3)


“It has not yet been revealed what we shall be.” In other words, only God knows. As people, it’s just natural that we are curious about what our future holds. We want to know who God wants us to be, and what path our lives are going to take. I know that I’ve personally spent hours asking God to reveal His plan for my life to me.
It’s perfectly okay to ask God to reveal His plans to us. We just have to be prepared to accept His answers when they come. You see, only God knows the big picture of our lives. As humans, we have limits to our understanding, and we aren’t always given the big picture, because we wouldn’t understand all of the complex details necessary for that picture to fall into place. God usually guides us in the direction of the very next step He wishes us to take so that we don’t miss the lessons He has for us to learn along the way. 
What I’ve learned from watching Sheldon and then looking at my own life is that I’m so busy seeking out the big picture that I miss the blessings that each step along the way provides. Life isn’t necessarily about the end result – only God knows what that will be anyway, it’s about the journey. It’s so easy for us to focus on the destination that we miss the journey altogether.
I think we do this in our daily lives as well. We get caught up in routines, time crunches, deadlines, and all the things we have to do that we miss all the things we are blessed to be able to do. In the evenings, I’m so busy getting Sheldon fed and ready for bed while also getting Cory’s dinner ready for his short dinner period that I often miss the opportunity to spend time with Cory when he’s home.  My mind is consumed with the evening routines for Sheldon. In the same respect, I miss sharing those tiny little moments of joy with Sheldon because I’m too busy trying to take care of him that I completely forget to enjoy the blessings of his company.
Can you relate to this? Is your life so busy that you miss the blessings of details? In our “get it now” society, when things are handed to us seconds after requesting them, we focus on results and miss the importance of the process of getting there. Details matter. Moments matter. It’s really up to us to decide if we are going to actively seek out and appreciate each detail of our day as we live it, or if we are going to let those moments pass us by. 

Be Present In Every Moment

The things Sheldon does on a daily basis never cease to surprise us. One day he’ll lick the television. The next he’ll demand that you take a bite of the food you are eating and then breathe on him so that he can determine if it’s something he might like or not. One moment he’s laughing hysterically. The next he’s banging his head on the arm of the chair. Then you’ll look up, and he’s taking baby steps throughout the house hunched over with his head turned to the side, one eye closed, and his hind end sticking up in the air. A moment later he’s chewing on a plastic pine needle from an artificial Christmas tree.
You really just never know what to expect from moment to moment in our house, and while I may sometimes get disgusted at some of the things Sheldon does (like licking the television), at least he can say he knows what it tastes like. He can honestly say that he knows how each thing in our home looks from every single angle. His life is full because he is present in each and every moment he lives, and he’s not afraid to truly experience life.
One of the main reasons that Sheldon can truly be present in each moment of his life centers around the truth that he is who he is, and he really doesn’t care what anyone else thinks about it. Sheldon doesn’t realize that he’s “different” than anyone else. I’m not sure that he would care even if he did realize it. He likes what he likes. He hates what he hates. He does what he likes to do, and the opinions of those around him have no effect on him whatsoever.
Everyone should be blessed by the experience of going to the grocery store with Sheldon just one time. It’s quite an experience! He’s so engrossed in staring at his hands or watching products move by through the holes in the cart, that he pays no attention to the other shoppers in the store who are staring at him with puzzled looks on their faces. While I’m checking out, he and Daddy will stand by the automatic doors, and he’ll dance an excited little jig as he makes them open and close. Little elderly ladies may quip at him, and other mothers might give him (and Daddy) dirty looks, but Sheldon doesn’t care one bit. He loves to watch things move, and it doesn’t matter to him if other people approve or not!
Sheldon doesn’t let other people prevent him from cherishing the things that make him happy. He doesn’t let society dictate what he should or shouldn’t enjoy. He simply lives each moment exactly as it is.
This lesson really hit home with me especially, since I miss a lot of life while being trapped in my bedroom with a migraine. I’ve missed birthday parties, get-togethers, and church functions because I can’t stand the sunlight so I can’t leave my cave. I’ve had family members tell me that I’ve ruined my husband and son’s lives with this “migraine nonsense” because I can’t withstand a little pain (I wish it were little!). I’ve completely destroyed any financial stability we might ever have had. I’ve been told that they would be better off without me. And for quite some time, I believed it.
Then I would watch a little boy who didn’t care what those people thought. He loves his Momma, and he drags me all over the house to play with him each and every moment I am well. He doesn’t care what people think. He knows his Momma loves him, and he’s determined to make the most of every minute he has with me. Why couldn’t I do the same?
Since we haven’t yet found effective preventative measures to keep the migraines at bay, I became inspired by my little guy, and I’m even more determined to truly enjoy those moments that I am well enough to join my family in their everyday lives. I don’t care if the laundry is slowly becoming a small mountain. It doesn’t matter if the floors are covered in potato chip debris. If my baby wants to play with his Momma, I’m going to play with him. Chores can wait for moments he wants to be alone or after he’s asleep. I want to be like Sheldon and experience as much of life as I possibly can.
Are you present? When you spend time with your spouse, children, family, or friends do you truly enjoy and savor those experiences, or do you feel like life is passing you by, and you aren’t really a part of it? Do you drag yourself out of bed in the morning, dreading the day ahead of you, or do you arise with rejoicing at the new day the Lord has blessed you with?
I challenge you to take a page out of Sheldon’s book, and experience each and every aspect of your life for the next week. Look at things from a different angle. Taste things you would never have considered tasting before. Get on the floor with your children and see life as they see it. Turn your head, close one eye, and focus on the details of life that surround you.
When you are present and truly experience each moment of your life, I think you’ll be amazed at the care God places in every facet of your daily life. A life of praise, joy, and thanksgiving will naturally follow.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment