Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The Sideways Lens - Chapter 7 - Are You Ready for Your Close-Up?



Chapter 7 – Are You Ready for Your Close-Up?

I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will guide you with My eye. (Psalm 32:8)



I’m one of those people who require my own, personal space. I’ve never been comfortable when people stand so close to me that I can feel and smell their breath as they speak with me. (I guess Sheldon comes by some of his sensory problems honestly!) As you can tell from the picture above, Sheldon doesn’t mind getting up close and personal! One of the biggest adjustments I’ve had to make as Sheldon has gotten older is getting used to the lack of the personal space I have when he’s around.
Sheldon doesn’t understand social norms and expectations, and personal space means nothing to him. I’ve often woke up to a little nose touching mine, with a smiling little face behind it. When I eat certain foods, he’ll stick his nose to my lips so that he can smell what I’m eating. He’ll pull me up to him, and snuggle my chin into his chest so that he can look through the lenses of my glasses from a different angle. Sheldon’s an up close and personal guy with people he’s familiar with, so much so that it’s sometimes startling! It’s taken me quite some time to get comfortable with having someone so physically close to me all the time.
One afternoon as he was watching a sign language movie, he climbed into my lap, turned my head to the side, and came so close to my glasses that he left nose prints. My first instinct was to jerk away and clean the print off of my lens, because again, Sheldon gets some of those sensory problems honestly, but I stopped myself and watched him. I realized that he was watching the movie in the reflection on my glasses.
As he stared intently at the movie playing in my lenses, he exhaled deeply, and his breath blew across my face. I would have normally found this offensive, but instead, it got me thinking…
Get Up Close and Personal With God
 
 
In Psalm 32:8, God says that He’ll guide us with his eye. Have you ever stood a block away from someone as they tried to tell you something? You can barely hear their shouts or interpret their movements, let alone see what they are doing with their eyes! As Sheldon’s nose pressed against my glasses, I realized that in order for us to be able to see God’s eyes, we must not only be facing directly towards Him, but we also need to be standing nose to nose with God. When we are up close and personal with God we remove all of the things that keep us from hearing His voice clearly and seeing His eyes directly.
It sounds so simple, yet sometimes finding God’s will and being certain that it’s His can be a daunting task! We discussed earlier how praise and thanksgiving can help us draw closer to God, but how can we truly be certain that we are on the right path? How do we know that the voice we hear is God’s? How do we know that the breath we feel blowing across our face is truly His?
Have a Little Talk with Jesus
And Moses said, I will now turn aside, and see this great sight, why the bush is not burnt. And when the Lord saw that he turned aside to see, God called unto him out of the midst of the bush, and said, Moses, Moses. And he said, Here am I. (Exodus 3:3-4)
Moses worked for his father-in-law, Jethro. Moses’ job was vital to the prosperity of the family. By maintaining a large, healthy herd of sheep, Moses was helping Jethro keep food on the table and warm clothes available for the family to wear. Tending sheep was a time-consuming job. Not only did a shepherd have to constantly survey the horizon for possible predators, but they also had to steer errant sheep back into the safety of the fold.
The safety of each and every one of his sheep was at the forefront of Moses’ mind as he led his sheep through Horeb that day. He was focused on business until a bush caught his attention. This wasn’t just any bush - it was a bush that burned yet was never consumed. Moses could have shrugged his shoulders and went back to his sheep, but Moses chose to step away from the career that was so vital to his family and inquire about an unusual bush. What Moses found was God.
If we want to ascertain that something truly is God’s will, doesn’t it just make sense that we should go directly to the source first and ask the King himself? God doesn’t always get our attention in such a grand way as a burning bush, but God does speak to us by the situations He places us in and through the people around us. Often we are too caught up in our own lives to hear His voice.
Many people struggle as I do with this aspect of prayer. As I mentioned earlier in this book, I often went to God with a laundry list of my problems, but I didn’t really have a conversation with Jesus, my friend. I found it difficult to think of the Most High God as a friend of a mere human like me, but the Bible presents a very different picture.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you. Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you. (John 15:13-15)

Jesus is your friend. Think about it. That is a pretty bold statement. Jesus, the Son of God whose death made your eternal life possible, is your friend. He chose you. He chose to die for you so that you could escape the terrors of hell. What a spectacular thought! Not only is He your friend, but the next verse of scripture goes on to say that Jesus chose you to be His friend. Isn’t that amazing?
When you enter into your time of prayer, remember to have a conversation with Jesus, your friend. A conversation involves two-way communication. That means that not only should you speak with God, but your prayer time should always include time for Him to respond. You may not hear an audible voice, but God may answer in a scripture, a thought, a word upon your heart, song lyrics that suddenly run through your mind, or any number of other ways. Take time to listen to God’s response. You might be surprised at the number of ways God can speak to you besides a burning bush!
This time spent in conversation with Jesus, our friend, is vital in another very important way. As we spend more time in the presence of God, we become more aware with how His immediate presence affects our spirits. I don’t know how He does it, but once you “know” you are in the presence of God, it’s a feeling you will never forget. God is with us at all times, but when we’re nose-to-nose with this very special friend, it’s a feeling we will immediately recognize. When you are looking for God’s will, standing in His presence is an excellent place to begin.
Spend Time in the Playbook
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.  (Psalms 119:105)
Sometimes in life we face difficult decisions that could potentially alter the course of our lives forever. Choosing a spouse, changing careers, deciding how to raise a child, deciding where to live, and finding the church home that God wants you in are just a few examples of the difficult decisions that we face each and every day.
God does not leave us here on earth without guidance as to how we should live our lives. He doesn’t leave us in the middle of a difficult situation and say, “See ya later! Good luck finding your way out of this mess!” God provided us with a playbook for handling life’s situations - the Bible. The scriptures in this book were designed to be a light for you to follow. They were designed to help you find your way through His will.
How can scriptures help guide you through decisions? Try taking the decision you are facing right now, and prayerfully weighing your options against scripture. If an option disagrees with the Word of God, that’s a red flag that it probably isn’t the right choice. If a choice is supported by scripture, take it to the Lord in prayer to see if that is the direction He wants you to take.
The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other. (Galatians 5:19-26)
This passage in Galatians is the key to all sorts of situations! When you are faced with a decision, trying to decide if something is in the will of God, or just evaluating where you stand in your relationship with Christ, these passages hold the answer. The first set of verses (19-21) gives us general guidelines by which to describe things that are "of the flesh" (aka...not God!). The second set (22-26) provides a list of the fruits of the Spirit (aka...GOD!).
Most of us memorize the fruits of the Spirit as children, but I encourage you today to memorize the fruits of the flesh as well. When you have a solid understanding of the two extremes, you will gain wisdom on how to move forward with your current situation. Place any situation against the flesh or the fruits. Which path will your decisions lead to? God or flesh?
Not only can these verses help us to decided which path is God’s, but they can also provide a “meter” of sorts that will help us see how close we are truly standing to God, by evaluating the fruit that we are producing in our own lives.
When was the last time you took inventory on the fruit in your life? I’m not talking about bananas or apples, or even those "crazy" people in our lives that we love the most...spiritual fruit? Have you taken time to honestly evaluate where you are spiritually?
Sometimes it's helpful to pause every once in a while and see what kind of fruit our lives are producing. Is your heart full of jealously, hatred, resentment, selfishness or self-destruction? While it’s perfectly normal to feel these emotions from time to time, it’s not a good sign if this is the kind of fruit you are sharing with those around you. If you feel like you are impacting those around you in a negative manner, perhaps it’s time to return to Chapter 3 and draw close to God through praise and thanksgiving.
At the other end of the spectrum, can you honestly say that you live a life EACH DAY that is overflowing with love, joy, peace, forbearance (patience), kindness, goodness, & faithfulness? I can't! I like to think that I’m a masterpiece in progress…
Most of us fall somewhere in-between. We bear God’s fruit and fleshly fruit at the same time. We are all human, and we all make mistakes. Again, since God alone is perfect, I’m pretty sure that Jesus was the only human to walk the earth that exuded true spiritual fruit every moment that He lived here. Since imperfection is a part of our design, we need to really focus on which direction the scale is tipping and do our best to ensure that as much Godly fruit as possible is being produced in our lives.
Make His Word Personal
Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. (Psalms 119:11)
This verse reminds us that we should not only read and study the word of God but we should also make it an integral part of who we are. Not only are we to use the Bible as a playbook for godly living, but we are also supposed to hide it in our hearts for protection. By keeping scripture memorized and hidden in our hearts, we can avoid sin and confront temptations at a moment‘s notice. We draw closer to the eyes of God by using His word to remove the sin that could separate us from him.
Scripture itself doesn’t keep us sin-free. It’s when the Spirit of God brings that scripture to our attention during a time of temptation that it is a useful weapon. To help us avoid the temptations Satan lays before us, scripture shows us how God would want us to handle the tempting item. Satan is a crafty snake, and he often strives to make sin look as tasteful and harmless as possible. By keeping scripture in our hearts, we can identify Satan’s sneaky plans immediately and avoid falling into sins’ snare.
Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O Lord God of hosts. (Jeremiah 15:16)
 How much do you truly enjoy your time in God’s word? In these verses, Jeremiah’s passion for the word of God is abundantly clear. He “ate” of God’s word, and his heart rejoiced at God’s holy words. Are you so hungry for the word of God that you could devour it?
Often we have “ah ha” moments as we study the Bible, but spending time in God’s word is difficult for many people. An “ah ha” moment is that moment while reading scripture that you get goose bumps up and down your spine because you know that God selected that verse just for you today. In that moment, that passage finally makes sense. More than that, it becomes very personal in your life.
How quickly we forget our “ah ha” moments in God’s word, and begin to drag our feet about spending time study scripture! It’s not enough just to read God’s word. It’s really even not enough just to make it a part of who we are. To truly draw close to God, we need to develop a hunger for the things of God. We need to passionately immerse ourselves in His Word, His Will, and His Ways. We need to pray for a hungry heart like Jeremiah’s. We need to pray for a hunger that can only be filled by consistent, daily reading of the Bible and filling of our spirits. Spending time each day with God only draws us closer to Him. It pulls us face to face with the One who made us.
GO! GO! GO!
But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man observing his natural face in a mirror; for he observes himself, goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of man he was. But he who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does. (James 1:22-25)
        When you are near Sheldon and you hear the words, “Ready, set, GO!” you’d better be prepared for him to take action. If there is an object in his hand, it will immediately be launched into the air. If he’s leaned over on one leg, he will take off running at the sound of “GO!”, and if you are in the path, I promise he will move you!
There is no “half-way” with Sheldon. Maybe it’s because he sees the world in “black and white”, or maybe it’s because he has an amazing capacity to focus with single-minded determination, but when Sheldon is committed to doing something he will do it. Immediately. He has two modes – on and off. There are no in-betweens.
God gives us the same command here in the first chapter of James. When we know the next step in His will for our lives, He expects us to take it. And when He reveals the step after that and the step after that, He expects us to take them as we continue pressing on towards His goal.
See It Through
 Teaching Sheldon something new is an incredibly tedious process. You have to model the desired outcome again and again, then endure meltdowns as he gets frustrated with his inexperience at the task at hand, and then repeat the action again and again and again for it to become comfortable to Sheldon. Giving up is not an option. If I were to quit nudging him towards the goal, he would never reach it, because he would never know it was there to reach for in the first place.
I remember the first time I heard Sheldon sing a couple of words to “Jesus Loves Me.” It was one of the most joyous days of my life. I didn’t know if he would ever be able to really sing or not, since his language was so limited, but it was important to me for Sheldon to know that God loved him. It took four years of singing it to Sheldon at bedtime before I was blessed to hear, “Yesh, Geeshus wuvs me!”
After I left his bedroom that night, I sat down on the couch and cried tears of joy. Four years of labor had finally paid off. I personally couldn’t tell whether or not Sheldon was learning the song or not. He always stared at his fingers or made shadows in the night light on the wall as I sang. I felt as though I was singing for my own comfort most nights, because Sheldon showed no signs of catching on. I had no idea that step by step, inch by inch, God was bringing about results in that little man’s life.
Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses. (1 Timothy 6:12)
 
Have you noticed that when you start something new, you are so excited that you can hardly focus on anything else, but after a little time has passed, the newness has worn off, and that task is now regarded as ordinary or even old? Sometimes this same thing happens as we do God’s will. In the beginning it is new, fresh, and exciting, but after a while the responsibility seems to wear us down and become monotonous. Perhaps we face unexpected mountains or get frustrated because we don’t see the results that we expected to see from God. We sometimes feel that maybe it would just be easier to quit and start all over again.
This verse reminds us that sometimes doing the will of God is a fight (usually against the constant attacks of Satan), but it goes on to describe it as a good fight of faith. God never promised we’d enjoy smooth sailing as we do His will. What He did promise is that He’ll be with us every step of the way, even into eternity, and that the fight we’re facing isn’t useless. As long as we are standing nose-to-nose with Jesus, we can find peace in the knowledge that even if we don’t “see” results immediately, we can still know that we are doing what’s right in His sight. We’ll know it’s in His sight when we can see into His eyes and feel His breath blowing across our cheeks.   

No comments:

Post a Comment