Saturday, April 19, 2014

Devotion - Does The Resurrection Really Matter?

Make an altar of earth for me and sacrifice on it your burnt offerings and fellowship offerings, your sheep and goats and your cattle. Wherever I cause my name to be honored, I will come to you and bless you. (Exodus 20:24)

Through his death alone, Jesus, the spotless lamb of God, would have atoned for our sins. According to the laws God set forth in the Old Testament for purity in sacrifice, Jesus' blood would have been an acceptable sacrifice for atonement. He could have just let Jesus "stay dead", right? I mean, did the resurrection really matter?

Yes. It did. 

Who was declared with power to be the Son of God by his resurrection from the dead: Jesus Christ our Lord. (Romans 1:4) 

First and foremost, the resurrection was the definitive "declaration" that Jesus was in fact the Son of God. Any man can die, but not just any man can conquer death to rise up from an earthly grave. Jesus' death would have been in vain if he wasn't who he said he was, and the resurrection was a vital part of proving that.

And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins. (1 Corinthians 15:17)

Secondly, the Bible tells us that the resurrection was necessary for Christ to forgive your sins. Sure, in Old Testament times, a spotless sacrifice could atone for sin, but the sinners had to keep offering their sacrifices to God again and again and again. If Jesus had simply died, he would be yet another in a long line of spotless sacrifices, but we would still need something more to offer again down the road. By being raised from the dead, Christ alone has the power to forgive your sins through His sacrifice once and for all.

I am the Living One; I was dead,and now look, I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades. (Revelation 1:18)


Can you imagine how giddy Satan must've been when his arch nemesis Jesus' lifeless body was hauled down from the cross and sealed in the tomb? I can almost imagine the weekend bash they had in Hell celebrating what to Satan & his demons must've have been the greatest victory of all times...until the dead guy got up and walked away! Jesus defeated Satan in the single greatest event in all of history, and He did it with such tact and stealth, that it was some time before Satan even realized he had been defeated!


But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel. (2 Timothy 1:10) 


Lastly, the resurrection mattered, because it gives those who choose to have a relationship with Jesus life and immortality. Will we live forever? Not on earth, no, but the resurrection gives us immortal life in heaven with Jesus. 


Reflection - Thank you, Jesus, for not only bearing my sin and shame on the cross, but also for rising again on the third day, that I might have eternal life in heaven with you!


No comments:

Post a Comment