Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Simplicity Momma - My Top-Secret Mint Chocolate Lip Balm Recipe



Yes, you read that correctly! I said, "MINT CHOCOLATE lip gloss!" Did I mention there is REAL chocolate in this one? Yum-O!

There are several mint chocolate lip gloss recipes on the internet. What sets mine apart is the fact that I use a simple recipe, & a carrier oil that doesn't mess with the mint chocolate flavor! 

Ingredients: 
- 1 part (1/4 cup) of carrier oil (I like jojoba oil for this one, because I doesn't have as strong of a flavor as olive or coconut oil do. I don't want to alter the pure taste of the mint & chocolate! You can substitute either, though.) 
- 1 part (1/4 cup) shaved or beeswax pearls. (If you use coconut oil, add a little more beeswax. Coconut oil has a fairly low melting point, & this will help it retain firmness.) 
- peppermint essential oil
- 2 Hershey's chocolate rectangles or 8-10 chocolate chips

Instructions:
1. Place the wax and the chocolate in a glass bowl or jar. Using the a double boiler system or the microwave, melt the wax completely. (If using the microwave, heat & stir in 30 second intervals.)

2. Pour the carrier oil into the bowl with the wax/chocolate mixture & stir.

3. Add a couple of drops of peppermint oil. Mix completely. ***See below for information on peppermint oil!

4. Pour mixture into pots & allow it to cool (about 2 hours). 

Notes: This should make about 6 small pots of gloss. Gloss should be discarded around 2 months after creation (if it lasts that long) or anytime you see a change in appearance or smell of the gloss. Keep out of eyes.

*** I suggest starting with 5 drops of peppermint oil. It is EXTREMELY powerful, and you just want the refreshing tingle of the mint on your lips & not a burn. To determine the appropriate amount of peppermint oil, you can do one (or both) of two things: 1. If you smell your mixture & it burns your nose, there's too much peppermint. Add equal amounts of oil & wax to dilute it further. If the smell is barely noticeable, add drops ONE AT A TIME, stirring & smelling after each additional drop until you reach a nice level of mint that smells good without burning your nostrils. 2. Let the mixture cool a little (please don't put hot liquid on your lips!!!), & dab a small amount onto your lips. If it burns, do a quick remelt & add equal parts oil & wax until the gloss no longer burns. If you don't feel a tingle at all, add drops one at a time, stirring after each drop until the right level is achieved. I usually use 10 drops in my mixture.

I've become a lover of this gloss! It's like dessert on your lips! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment