Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Simplicity Momma - Natural Deodorant Recipe


Ok...hear me out! I was a little leery of this at first myself. I am sensitive to aluminum. Shortly after having my first son, I actually had to go through chelation treatment for aluminum poisoning. 

I tried natural crystal deodorants - only to find that I still smelled at the end of every day. I even tried some "all natural" deodorants (think Tom's), and not only did I still have body odor, but I also broke out from the specific oils used in the two varieties I tried. (I have EXTREMELY sensitive skin.)

So I recently went on a quest to find an all natural, aluminum-free deodorant recipe that worked. Unfortunately all of the recipes I found have corn starch in them. (There's nothing wrong with corn starch. It's a cheap and effective product.) I have a weird sensory thing where I just almost can't stand the feeling or sound of corn starch being rubbed together. (Yes, I know where my older son's sensory problems come from... :)

After a little research, I came across a little thing called arrowroot powder, and my problem was solved! My recipe is below. 

It has been adapted from my friend Sherri's recipe on her Mommas Time Out blog! :)


Ingredients:
- 5 TBSP Coconut Oil
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder (or corn starch)
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 3-4 drops of Tea Tree Oil or other essential oil (optional)

Instructions:
1. Pour arrowroot powder (or corn starch) & baking soda into a bowl. Stir loose ingredients.


2. Add 5 TBSP of coconut oil. Use a spatula to thoroughly mix the coconut oil & dry ingredients thoroughly. You will need to push and knead the dry ingredients into the coconut oil. 


3. Once the mixture is about the consistency of raw cookie dough, you can add the optional essentional oil and mix thoroughly. (Coconut oil has a great scent, so oil isn't required. I chose to use a few drops of tea tree oil because it has antibiotic properties.)

4. Place your mixture in a wide mouth jar. (You can use an empty deodorant container, but keep in mind that coconut oil melts at 75*, so it will have to always be stored at a temperature less than that.) This recipe makes about 3/4 cup of deodorant.


To use: Warm a small amount (penny-sized drop) in your fingers and apply to underarms. All it to absorb for a moment or so. Wash your hands and start your day! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment